Monday, November 13, 2017

Where has my silverware gone?

My mom had this drawer full of silverware. It was a long, skinny drawer that was so heavy sometimes it was a struggle to open it with one hand. This drawer had no silverware sorter and nothing in this drawer matched...ever. No fork had a match but she had 30 of them. It was the same for the spoons and knives. This drove me crazy every time I set the table. However, putting the clean silverware away was a breeze. Just open the drawer, dump it all in there and close it back up.

 When I was a kid I remember thinking, "when I grow up I will have all matching silverware and they'll be in a nice sorter thingy too."  For 25 years of marriage, I've managed to have all matching silverware. It's not fancy, it's just regular Oneida stuff but they don't make this design anymore.  So, now I have a dilemma. Do I go buy some to make up the number I need and have mixed silverware in the drawer OR do I go buy all new in the amount I want and have all new matching silverware in the drawer? My kids would say go buy new because they know they will get my hand me downs for college apartment living.

Two thoughts come to my mind. 1. How did we go from 12 forks to 7, 12 spoons to 4, yet the knives keep multiplying? I swear I have 20 or more butter knives. I wouldn't wonder where they've gone if my kids were still at the age that they were taking spoons to the sandbox or the forks to dig in dirt. But the youngest is now 10 and he doesn't have a sandbox anymore. Er, I mean, the neighborhood cats don't have a litterbox anymore, and 2. Why did mom's silverware drawer bug me so much, even as a kid?

When my mom was a single mom, she worked 2 jobs, she'd walk to both jobs so she could save money on gas and use it for food. I imagine my mom thought having a reason to even  have silverware was more important that what the designs looked like.  I'm sure she'd see forks at a yard sale and think, "3 forks for 50 cents! SCORE!"

I'm sure I'll drive my kids crazy with some things I do, but I haven't decided yet if I'll be driving them crazy with my silverware drawer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment